Why should I buy a bicycle from a professional bike shop as opposed to a mass merchandiser/toy store?
Among others, 5 major reasons:
- Information before the sale. A bike shop can help you choose the type of bike that will best suit your needs and the type of riding you intend to do. This type of information is not available from clerks at the mass merchandiser/toy store (hereafter MMTS!).
- Sizing. The same size bike will not fit both a 5 foot tall woman and a 6 foot tall man. A professional bike shop offers a wide range of frame sizes to fit all shapes and sizes properly; adult bikes from a MMTS are a “one-size-fits-all” proposition.
- Assembly. As bicycles become more complex, proper assembly becomes more and more critical. Bikes are received by both the full-service bike shop and the MMTS in a box, partially assembled. The bike shop will take approximately an hour to assure that the brakes, gears, etc. are properly adjusted; the clerk at the MMTS will attach the front wheel, handlebars, pedals and seat and consider the job finished.
- Quality. Most MMTS bikes are looked upon as toys, designed to provide satisfactory service until they are outgrown or the novelty wears off. Bike shop quality bikes are designed for long-term satisfaction – serious pieces of sporting equipment. And, if you (or your child!) are hard on equipment, the additional durability of a serious bicycle can save you money in the long run.
- Service after the sale. A professional bike shop will take the time to adjust and fit the bicycle to each individual’s needs and preferences; a MMTS clerk may get the bike off the rack and help you load it in your car or truck! And, the full-service shop will be there to provide necessary service and repairs for the life of the bike.
Do I have to spend a lot of money to buy a high-quality bike from a bike shop?
Absolutely not! Although we’re a full-service shop that is capable of providing dream bikes to the more affluent enthusiast, the vast majority of our customers are casual, recreational cyclist that are simply looking for a bicycle that will provide them with years of comfortable, trouble-free fun. If this sounds like what you’re looking for, our juvenile bikes start at $89 (lower for tricycles), with adult models starting at $199. And, remember: once you have the bike and a couple of accessories (the most important of which is a helmet!), you’re done spending money – no health club dues to pay, no greens fees, etc!